February 26, 2016

GLUTEN FREE FRUIT FLAN

gluten free fruit flan

I have been enjoying making fruit flans in my new tin.  My Lakeland tin is 20cm dia. and makes a flan that serves four.  I fancied getting a bigger version and tracked down a 23cm silicone one on the internet, although since then I have discovered that you can also buy them in some French supermarkets and other shops that sell housewares and fancy goods.

gluten free fruit flan2

Last time I used my silicone flan mould I made a gluten free version that worked extremely well.  I had already scaled up the basic Be-Ro book recipe for the bigger flan and then simply substituted Dove’s Farm gluten free flour for the self raising flour in the recipe.

Quick-jel is not gluten free so my original intention was to make up half a packet of Chivers jelly for the glaze.  However, after watching the last episode of “Sport relief bake-off” on the telly, I decided to go for a cornflour glaze instead.   One of the contestants (I forget who) put jelly on her tart which didn’t set,  and Mary Berry – good old Mary – suggested a cornflour or arrowroot glaze instead.  I didn’t have any arrowroot but plenty of cornflour so tried that and it worked well.

For some the easiest and safest gluten free dessert is a meringue of some kind, but I think this will be my go-to gluten free pud in future.  I still find the thought of making a pavolova quite terrifying.  I know people who rustle one up with effortless ease and aplomb but for me it’s a skill I have yet to acquire.  A bit like scones……..

Ingredients

3 medium eggs

110g caster sugar

110g gluten free plain flour

1 tsp gluten free baking powder

grated zest of ½ lemon

fresh or frozen raspberries and blueberries (or any tinned fruit you like), thawed or drained (reserve the syrup or juice)

1 tblsp cornflour

1 tblsp caster sugar

60ml water

60ml fruit juice (or syrup from the tin)

1 tblsp redcurrant jelly

Method

To make the flan case, preheat the oven to 220°C / 200° fan / gas mk 7.  Grease a 23cm flan tin and line the raised up bit of the base with a circle of baking paper (to ensure easy removal of the flan).  If using a silicone mould I also find it helps to support the centre of the base by putting a biscuit tin lid of the right diameter underneath to prevent it sagging – which makes the base domed rather than flat when the sponge is baked – and to put it on a baking tray.
Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk lightly, using a hand held electric whisk.  Then add the sugar and whisk well for several minutes until pale and thick. 
Lightly fold in the flour, baking powder and lemon zest. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and firm to the touch.  Turn out carefully onto a wire rack.
While the sponge is cooling, make the glaze.  Put the cornflour and sugar into a small saucepan and mix to a paste with some of the water.  Add the rest of the liquid and the jam and heat gently until boiling.  Boil for one minute and cool for ten minutes.
Arrange the fruit in the flan case and spoon the cooled glaze carefully over the fruit.  Leave in the fridge or a cool place for the glaze to firm up (it won’t set completely).
Serves 6-8.

5 comments:

  1. I have to make a gluten free dessert every now and then and this would do very well indeed - it looks more planned and special than what I usually produce. You've reminded me that I bought a silicone flan dish in France some years ago so thanks for that, I can try making some flans. Sadly I can't remember where it is and now I need to search through every cupboard and dusty corner until I find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, happy hunting!
      I forgot to mention that as the sponge is also fat free, it's a very healthy dessert. If you ignore the sugar, of which there isn't that much really....

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Gaynor, thank you!
      You could of course increase its deliciousness by putting a layer of crème pâtissière or whipped cream under the fruit, or by decorating with whipped cream, 1970's style, just because you can!

      Delete
  3. That is such a pretty flan - it would take a will of iron to decline a slice!

    ReplyDelete