June 14, 2013

FORGOTTEN COOKIES

forgotten cookies1 I was looking at a couple of spare eggs in the egg basket late one evening and remembered this recipe which I had seen on the Good Food website a while ago.

The “late one evening” bit is the point, as these are essentially little meringues which you whisk up and put in the oven, then you turn the oven off and can leave them or “forget about them” until the next day.

forgotten cookies2As far as I can remember, this is the first time I have ever made a meringue, other than the sort you would put on top of a lemon meringue pie.  They turned out well, crisp on the outside and chewy inside, with nice little bits of nut and chocolate to surprise you as they melt on the tongue.  I also liked their rather rustic appearance and they are of course gluten free.

forgotten cookies3Some of them had nice hard, dry bottoms, which is how they should be I think.  Others were a bit gooey on the bottom and more difficult to remove from the baking sheet without falling apart.

I suspect this might be due to the efficiency of my fan oven in my French kitchen, which is newer than the one back home by about ten years.  I wonder if the fan that comes on to cool the oven down when you switch it off was too effective and cooled the oven too quickly.  I believe this oven has an option to turn the fan off so next time I make them I will see if I can find the instruction book (and understand the French text) and give that a try.

forgotten cookies4And I will definitely make them again.  I used a pack of Sainsbury’s Belgian chocolate chips and pecan nuts but I might try white chocolate and almonds next.  I also fancy making them even smaller so they could be served with an after dinner coffee.  Posh, eh ??!!

Ingredients

2 large egg whites

pinch of salt

120g caster sugar

120g pecan nuts, roughly chopped

150g dark chocolate, roughly chopped, or chocolate chips

1tsp vanilla extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°fan / gas mk 4.  Line two baking sheets with foil.

Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. 

Whisk in the sugar a little at a time.

Fold in the nuts, chocolate and vanilla essence.

Drop heaped teaspoons of the mixture onto the baking sheets, spaced 2-3 cm apart.  Put them into the oven and turn it off.  Forget about them for at least three hours, or until the oven is completely cold, or overnight.

Makes 30-35 cookies and they keep well for a few days in an airtight tin.

4 comments:

  1. My mother always made meringues by leaving them in the oven overnight as this recipe suggests. I have a recipe for meringues with chunky bits very similar to your one above -- they are called Pets de Nonne (Nun's Farts).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see inside them!!!... they looks so good... I do love anything meringue so these really wouldn't last long around here x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They tasted good...
    Jean passed them round Friday evening at Apero time.
    We left some for her guest who arrived today!!

    Jean... try a soft silicon sheet for these...
    [on your baking tray]...
    they should then come off with no loss of merangooey!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made a larger pudding version using a similar recipe many times but I've never tried making cookies. I love the idea of creating little bit-sized cookies to serve with coffee. When I exchanged my sad old oven for a new fan oven some years ago, I did find that the pudding was cooked less thoroughly. Turning the fan off during cooking, though, didn't make much difference. As you say, I think new ovens are just much more efficient at cooling down - especially the built-in ovens. I just raised the temperature of the oven a bit before I put the pudding in and everything was fine from then on.

    ReplyDelete