January 1, 2014

PARSNIP, HONEY AND CLEMENTINE CAKE

For the first post of 2014 I am posting the last cake I made in 2013.  Parsnip, honey and clementine cake.

parsnip cake I spotted this recipe in the lovely Dom’s blog, Bellau Kitchen.  As soon as I read it I knew I wanted to bake the cake as soon as possible!

Dom made it as a loaf cake but as we were in France at the time of baking and my one and only loaf tin was otherwise engaged, I baked it in a 23cm round tin.  I had to bake it for a bit longer than stated in the recipe but it worked out perfectly.

parsnip cake2 I also had to make a couple of substitutions according to what I had in my French kitchen cupboards.  I used golden raisins instead of sultanas and dark soft brown sugar instead of light muscovado.  It looked nice and moist when it came out of the oven so I decided not to add the orange and honey drizzle.

parsnip cake3This was the perfect cake to round off the year.  Moist, fruity, spicy and delicious.  If you didn’t know it contained parsnips you would never guess I think. 

And of course, as it contains no butter but plenty of vegetables it kicks off the New Year to a fantastic healthy start !!

So I would like to say a huge “thank you” to Dom for this recipe ~ and all the others I have either baked already or saved for future enjoyment ~ so many recipes, so little time !!

And a Happy New Year to everyone.  Here’s to many more delicious cakes and bakes in 2014.

Ingredients

200g golden raisins

the juice and zest of 4 clementines

2 tblsp honey

3 large eggs

175ml sunflower oil

200g dark soft brown sugar

200g self-raising flour

50g ground almonds

1tsp baking powder

1tsp ground ginger

½tsp ground cinnamon

225g parsnips, peeled and grated

Method

Put the sultanas, honey and clementine juice in a small pan and heat gently for five minutes.  Set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 170°C / 150° fan.  Grease and line the base of a 23cm round springform cake tin.

Beat the eggs, sugar and flour together in a large bowl until creamy.  Add the raisins from the pan and all the other ingredients and mix well.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, level the top and bake for about an hour until risen and golden.  Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.

Cuts into 10-12 slices.

13 comments:

  1. Wow that does sound good and I cannot imagine parsnips in a cake. Never the less I have printed it off and I am certainly going to try it out. Thanks and Happy 2014. Diane and Nigel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you and Nigel, Diane.
      You would enjoy this Cake I think. I remember your courgette and lemon cake which is along similar lines.

      Delete
    2. I made it this morning and it has turned our well, a little too sweet for both of us though it will get eaten!

      Delete
    3. It is so much better today than yesterday. I may well make this cake again now :)

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! This cake sounds and looks delicious - I love the flavour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that cake on Dom's blog too. I have no parsnips but a turnip is lurking in my veg drawer. I wonder if the results would be the same...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm........not sure about a turnip. It's not as sweet as parsnip and slightly more fibrous, as is swede.
      Carrot would be good though.

      Delete
  4. I've long wanted to make a parsnip cake so this is inspiring. I do love a parsnip!

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a parsnip cake recipe in one of Jane Grigson's books which I once used to make cupcakes. I don't like parsnips, but it was surprisingly good; everyone enjoyed them, and as you say, you'd never guess there was parsnip in there. The clementines must make this one extra yummy. I'll try it the next time I'm stuck with parsnips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, you won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  6. I do sometimes get to the point towards the end of winter when I just can't face the idea of another roasted parsnip. This is what I shall make instead and keep on good terms with this fine vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea for using up parsnips - have never used them in a cake, so will now try it. Thanks Jean and Dom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely! What wonderful responses too. It does look so good and if I remember it did taste better the next day but then vegetable cakes tend to stay moister longer. Lovely work all round! Xxx

    ReplyDelete